We would like to invite you to submit proposals for a topic talk at the 4th FabLab Asia Network Conference (FAN4).
Below are some pointers for you in coming up with a proposal.
With the theme “Co-create a better world” , FAN4 aims to
- – connect Vietnamese and international makers, innovators and change-makers through knowledge exchange
- – explore the role of makers in working towards the United Nations’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (also known as SDGs)
- – boost socially meaningful projects by enabling local organizations / problem owners & international makers to co-create solutions for sustainable development issues that are highly relevant to Vietnam.
We are looking for speakers working on various SDGs who applies hardware and/or digital fabrication in their works. We aim for a balanced mix between Vietnamese and international guest speakers in order to foster exchange, as well as a balance between male and female speakers.
Talk schedule & duration
At FAN4, there will be three types of talk: topic talk, flash talk and lab review
Topic talk x6 // 15 minutes each
Two 30-minute slots every morning from May 2nd to 4th, between 11am to 12pm are reserved for topic talks by two speakers, each addressing a different sustainable development goal.
Each speaker is given strictly 15 minutes to present, followed by 12 minutes of Q&A.
We would love to have more of you speaking but the venue arrangement is not meant for parallel sessions.
Flash talk x15 // 4 minutes each
For those who love to freestyle and/or have an interesting idea but not enough to make a full topic talk. Here you can share about your project, pick the audience’s brains or call for collaborators…
This will happen during afternoon tea-breaks.
Lab review x up to 21 // 5 to 7 minutes each
Depending on how many FabLabs want to present, each may get up to 7 minutes.
Topic talk format & flow
You are free to use any of the following formats that you find most convenient: .ppt, .pdf, and .prezi.
We suggest that your presentation be structured to cover the following point
- a problem that’s in line with one or more of the 17 SGDs, which you are / were working on
- your solution, demonstrating maker’s approaches
- progress and impacts so far
- Lessons learnt & best practices for scaling up in other places / labs
On the other hand, please feel free to exercise creativity to make it as engaging as possible.
Areas of special mentions
We are especially looking for proposals in the following areas
- Affordable & Clean Energy
- Waste treatment
- Assistive Technologies
- Responsible Consumption & Production
- Sustainable Cities & Communities
- Urban personal transport
- Open-source design
- Quantitative assessment of impacts of FabLabs on Sustainable Development
How to register
Please fill in our proposal online at: https://goo.gl/forms/MGnO1Qi3b2rz0ZH52
Deadline for topic talk submissions: March 18th, 2018.
Deadline for flash talk / workshop submissions: March 31st, 2018.
Notification of acceptance: Ongoing basis
Final schedule out: April 16th, 2018
Note: Late submissions are still reviewed before the final schedule is published, but early submissions have priority.
FAN4 Call for speakers